All Voter Registrations and Address Updates Due Monday, Oct. 6
The legal deadline to register to vote in the Nov. 4 Presidential Election is Monday, Oct. 6, 2008, at 5 p.m. Mailed registration applications must be postmarked Oct. 6. The same deadlines are in effect for Virginia voters who are registered, but have moved within the City or within Virginia. Voters who do not update their applications risk being ineligible to vote on Election Day.
Checking Registration Status
Alexandria voters who are not certain if they are registered at their current address should visit www.alexandriavoter.org and click on “Am I Registered and Where do I Vote?” or call Voter Registration at (703) 838-4050.
The Alexandria Office of Voter Registration and Elections offers the following voter registration methods:
- Citizens may download applications from www.alexandriavoter.org and submit them by mail, postmarked on or before Oct. 6, to the Alexandria Voter Registration Office, 132 North Royal Street (Suite 100), Alexandria, VA 22314.
- Mail applications may be obtained at Alexandria Libraries or at the Office of Citizen Assistance at City Hall.
- Citizens can register in person at the Alexandria Voter Registration Office and Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles Customer Service Centers.
In addition to the methods listed above, Virginia registered voters who need to update their addresses may do so in one of these ways:
- Complete the form on the back of the old Voter I.D. card and mail or fax (703) 838-6449 to the Voter Registration Office.
- Complete a voter registration application and mail or fax (703) 838-6449 to the Voter Registration Office.
Voter cards for new or transferred registrants will be mailed within one week of the registration date.
In addition to President, the Alexandria ballot includes races for the Office of U.S. Senate, and U.S. House of Representatives. Sample ballots are posted at www.alexandriavoter.org.
Absentee voting is now in progress. Go to www.alexandriavoter.org or call (703) 838-4050 for absentee voting information and other election information.