Former Virginia Treasurer and Secretary of Finance Jody Wagner unveiled her Education Plan on Wednesday (http://www.jodyforva.com/files/wagner_ed_plan.pdf), a comprehensive agenda to advance Virginia’s public education system and prepare the Commonwealth to train the workforce of the future. Wagner, a seven-year member of the Warner and Kaine administrations recently helped Gov. Tim Kaine negotiate and pass the landmark Higher Education Bond bill, which provides millions in extra funds for higher education institutions in Virginia. She becomes the first candidate for Lt. Governor to release a comprehensive education plan.
“Our education system lays the foundation for the Commonwealth’s future, and the quality of the schooling we’re able to deliver to our children will determine their ability to compete in the global economy. As Virginians, we all owe a debt of gratitude to Governors Warner and Kaine for moving education to the top of their agendas, and we must share a commitment to innovation to keep our system moving forward. As a mother of four, a long-time education advocate, and a member of the Warner and Kaine administrations, I’ve seen first-hand the recent progress that has been made in Virginia’s education system, but I’m keenly aware that improvements must be made to keep us at the top. This plan will build on the Warner-Kaine legacies of expanding access to pre-K and post-secondary education, engaging the local community and businesses in the school system, increase high school graduation rates, and put a focus on a math and science curriculum that will prepare Virginia students for the industries of the future,” said Wagner.
Wagner’s plan includes measures to:
- Engage the local community and businesses in the education system
- Expand access to pre-K education, so every child gets off to a strong start
- Improve the delivery of math and science instruction from an early stage in a child’s education
- Improve high school graduation rates
- Increase college enrollment and completion by making post-secondary education more affordable and more accessible
- Leverage our colleges and universities through restructuring